Mimics

Dr. Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have used Mimics. You don't need to train or anything, very easy to get up and running on it. It's very good at extracting 3D info from stacks, a DICOM viewer with the ability to interpolate your 2d info to 3D. If you've used ITK-snap it's similar but better (less buggy and more powerful). I don't know how much it costs but have heard mimics is expensive. They work deals with educational licensing and also have offered short term licenses to some people I've worked with. ITK Snap is free though!

I haven't used ITK Snap. I'll look into it. I have used Osirix a bunch, but it needs to be combined with a mesh editing software package like Blender or MeshMixer. I am considering creating a video tutorial on how to do this. Is anybody interested in that?

• 5 months later...

As of RSNA, I believe Mimics was somewhere around 7Grand but I could be wrong.  I've played with ITK-Snap and do find it hit and miss. I really need to spend more time with it. There's also 3d Doctor which is almost $5000 http://www.ablesw.com/3d-doctor/price.html

There is also Bespoke modeling: $30 a month I believe. http://www.3dsystems.com/solutions/services/bespoke-modeling  It's run by 3dSystems.  I intend to give that a spin.

All the best!
Mike

I went to the RSNA meeting this year and took the training course in Mimics that Frank Rybicki was giving. It is great software, but very expensive from what I hear from people who have purchased a license. I am working on developing methods of designing 3D printed anatomic models using freeware, and will be publishing a tutorial shortly. Stay tuned.

Dr. Mike

I missed Dr. Frank's tutorials at RSNA, but Materialise gave me a license to experiment with it on my own. :)

There are better and better free resources coming out every day, it seems.

Looking forward to the tutorials!!  Thanks for doing that! :)

• 1 year later...

I haven't used ITK Snap. I'll look into it. I have used Osirix a bunch, but it needs to be combined with a mesh editing software package like Blender or MeshMixer. I am considering creating a video tutorial on how to do this. Is anybody interested in that?

Hi, is there something like Mimics but freeware ? For blood vessel segmentation ? 

Hi, is there something like Mimics but freeware ? For blood vessel segmentation ? 

Any of the segmentation programs will do this: ITK Snap, Invesalius, 3D-Slicer, etc.  The issue isn't so much which software will do the segmentation as much as it's the quality of the original dataset and the parameters used to obtain the original Dicoms.  Teasing out the vessels can sometimes be a pain depending upon the quality of the scans. 

Dr. Mike has made great blood vessel models and he uses free stuff :)

Have fun!! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Fitouss,

There are a several tutorials on this website on using freeware instead of Mimics. In fact, this is a major reason why Embodi3D exists -- to enable people do to medical 3D printing without having to spend a fortune doing it.

Look on the top of any page on embodi3d.com. Click tutorials. Enjoy the free and open-source goodness! I recommend 3D Slicer or Osirix.

Dr. Mike

• 2 years later...

Hello everybody!

My name is Maria and I ´m a Research Student. 

Actually, I am working with Mimics Medical and I have some problems, perhaps, you could help me. In my case, my images files are TIFF format not DICOM file and Mimics is only software that I know that it is eneable with this format. 

My question is: is there any software other than Mimics? 

Thank you,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 2:31 PM, mariancue said:

Hello everybody!

My name is Maria and I ´m a Research Student. 

Actually, I am working with Mimics Medical and I have some problems, perhaps, you could help me. In my case, my images files are TIFF format not DICOM file and Mimics is only software that I know that it is eneable with this format. 

My question is: is there any software other than Mimics? 

Thank you,

For tiffs, I like to open the stack in Fiji and save as NRRD--the NRRD opens much faster in Slicer. You can also set the spacing in Fiji for the NRRD to have the correct dimensions in Slicer.

• 1 month later...

I have a few mimics questions since they don't seem to have a helpful forum like slicer, and I'd like to compare the model quality of both. When I export a .nrrd as dicom series so mimics can open it, the image is quite dark and seems to be missing a lot of colour information, any ideas on why this might be? Does Mimics have the ability to use the red mask as a mask when painting on the green mask? (maybe that doesn't make much sense but slicer has this feature, also the colour doesn't matter). Finally, can Mimics use oversampling like Slicer to improve the look of a model with a low res dataset? Any help with any of these questions would be super useful :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...