Pay or Share Navigation
- What is Pay or Share?
- How does it work?
- What if I don’t like the way my file turned out?
- What are Premium Services?
- What is the cost?
- Is this a change in embodi3D’s free services?
What is Pay or Share?
Regular embodi3D® members have free access to standard features of democratiz3D®, the service on this website to automatically convert CT scans to STL model files. Premium members have access to additional, specialized democratiz3D operations and quality levels through a monthly or annual subscription. Pay or Share provides regular members a way to access Premium democratiz3D features for free.
How does it work?
As a regular member, you can convert a scan using standard or Premium democratiz3D settings. After conversion you can inspect the thumbnails of your STL model. If you used Premium settings, before downloading the model you have to choose between either paying a fee to download your file or permanently sharing your file with the community so that others can benefit from your file too. Remember, this only applies to Premium settings and only if you are a regular member. Premium members have unlimited access to Premium settings and regular members have free unlimited access to standard settings. Details of the Pay or Share choices are below:
- PAY: You can pay a one-time fee to download your Premium file. After you pay the fee you have unrestricted control over the file. You can download it, keep it private or share it, modify it, delete it, etc. This is the best choice is you want to keep the file private and only accessible by you, but don’t use democratiz3D enough to warrant a Premium subscription.
- SHARE: You permanently set your file for sharing and public download. Your file will be visible to and downloadable by the embodi3D community. Any member, including you, can download the file for free. Sharing helps to support and build the embodi3D community, and by sharing your file you are adding to an important educational resource. It is a way of giving back.
What if I don’t like the way my file turned out?
Regardless of the processing parameters you choose, democratiz3D will generate thumbnails of both your NRRD and STL files. You can always view your thumbnails for free. If it looks like the thumbnails will not result in the 3D print you need, you may not want to download the STL file. Rather, you may want to resubmit your NRRD for processing using different settings, or you check that your CT scan is of sufficient quality. You do not have to pay if you do not download your STL file.
What are Premium Services?
The following Premium processing settings are currently available in democratiz3D :
- CT NRRD to Dental STL operation – This operation is designed specifically to create highly detailed dental and craniofacial models where millimeter and sub-millimeter accuracy is necessary.
- CT NRRD to Bone STL Very Detailed operation – An extension of our Standard and Detailed bone conversion algorithms, Very Detailed provides an exquisite level of detail for bone models that require millimeters and sub-millimeter accuracy, such as craniofacial and spine applications.
- Ultra quality level – A quality level that can be applied to all democratiz3D conversion operations that generates a super high-resolution output 3D model with up to 3 million polygons. Intended only for the most demanding applications that require large model sizes with complex geometry and high detail.
The figures below compare the results of some premium processing parameters to standard options.
Image 1. Demonstration of operation and quality levels on a high-resolution dental model (Click to enlarge). Using the Standard Bone operation and High quality, a free operation, the teeth are clearly shown but the fine gaps between the teeth are not clearly visualized. Using the Standard Bone operation with the premium Ultra quality level, the fine details and gaps between the teeth become more apparent. Finally, using the specialized Dental operation with Ultra quality most clearly shows the fine gaps between the teeth, most obvious with the lower teeth. Additionally, irregular artifact around the molars is not present in the Dental operation model.
Image 2. Demonstration of operation and quality level bone and artery model (Click to enlarge). Using a high-resolution CT angiogram of the neck as a source, the vertebral artery goes through the C1 bone transverse foramen and then dives into the spinal canal over the C1 posterior arch (red square). Using the Detailed Bone algorithm on High quality (top left, Free), the separation between the vertebral artery and the adjacent C1 bone is not clearly seen. Increasing the quality level to Ultra and using the Standard Bone algorithm (top right, Premium), separation between the vertebral artery starts to become apparent. Using the Detailed Bone operation with Ultra quality (bottom left, Premium), the separation between these two structures becomes more apparent. Finally, using the premium Very Detailed Bone operation with the Ultra quality level (bottom right, Premium), the artery is clearly separated from the adjacent bone, and can be seen coursing through the transverse foramen and over the C1 arch.
What is the cost?
Regular members can have access to all democratiz3D operations for free. STL models created with standard settings are free and unrestricted, and files made with Premium settings are also free for regular members as long as they are shared with the community. Regular members who wish to keep their files private can pay a one-time free to gain total control over their file (including making the file private). Premium membership subscribers have total control of all their files, both with standard and Premium settings.
- Free if you use standard operations or quality levels.
- Free if you are a regular member, use a premium operation or ultra quality, and share your file for public download.
- Subject to a one-time per-file payment of $19.99 if you are a regular member, use a premium operation or ultra quality, and do not wish to permanently share your file for public download.
- Free for all operations and quality levels if you are Premium membership subscriber.
Figure 1. Graphic showing how the Pay or Share program works. Regular members who are not Premium subscribers can still create 3D models with democratiz3D using Premium features. Regular members can generate democratiz3D models using Premium features, but before downloading a Premium model the user can decide to either pay a one-time fee for use of the Premium service (Pay), or permanently share the file with the community and download the file for free (Share). Files will remain in locked status until the user has chosen one of the two options. Under this program, anybody can have access to Premium operations, irrespective of their ability to pay, as long as they share the file with the community. People who don't wish to share their files publicly or subscribe to Premium membership still have the option of paying a one-time fee for premium usage. Premium subscribers of course have unlimited access to premium democratiz3D features.
Is this a change in embodi3D’s free services?
All services that were free on embodi3D.com prior to the release of Premium features and the Pay or Share program remain free for all members. This includes downloads, forums, tutorials, and standard democratiz3D features,such as the Low, Medium, and High quality levels, as well as the CT NRRD to Bone STL, Detailed Bone STL, Muscle STL, and Skin STL Operations. All of the features that were previously free remain so. The Premium services merely provide more specialized processing.