How can 3D printing help with the coronavirus pandemic?

Dr. Mike

Friends,

The coronavirus pandemic we are now facing is an unmitigated disaster the likes of which have not been seen since the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918. I work at the hospital in Kirkland, Washington, USA that is the epicenter of the epidemic in the US. We currently have more than 100 known or suspected COVID-19 cases at our hospital, with many more to be coming. As shown in the story linked below, 3D printers are being used in Italy to address a specific problem with a shortage of valves. It's a great story. 

This raises the question: What we can we do with 3D printing to help with this coronavirus outbreak?

I am personally unsure, but the inventiveness of the Italy valves is inspiring. I have identified the following areas where there is need. There are surely others I have missed. Can 3D printing be used in any way to address these problems? I am calling on the medical 3D printing community to contribute ideas, whether related to 3D printing or not, to help with this unprecedented disaster.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET -- YOUR BRAINPOWER -- TO THIS PROBLEM.

Areas of need:

• Coronavirus testing
  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), respirators, gloves, gowns, etc.
  • Aids to social isolation
  • Helping with sterilization/cleaning of equipment
  • Shortages of hospital beds/space
  • Other areas?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51911070

Thank you all and be safe!

Dr. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here are links to a face shield system I designed. It's key features are:

The shield is held in place with a friction fit so it does not need to have holes punched in it. This is great for quickly changing shields instead of having to sterilize the whole unit each use.

It can use a range of materials for shields but is designed for regular laminator pouches, either 3 or 5 mil. Usually about $0.30 each.

The brow strip has a compound curve to make it very comfortable, even for extended periods.

The retainer for the elastic head band is infinitely adjustable.

I am just finishing up a removable cover that clips across the top to reduce the chance of particles falling onto the face. Clips off for easy cleaning. 

Feel free to create and share but please do not charge money, other than for supplies if you need to.

IMG_1996.jpg

V4 Bottom.stl V4 Head.stl

On 4/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, Jerry Stanley said:

Here are links to a face shield system I designed. It's key features are:

The shield is held in place with a friction fit so it does not need to have holes punched in it. This is great for quickly changing shields instead of having to sterilize the whole unit each use.

It can use a range of materials for shields but is designed for regular laminator pouches, either 3 or 5 mil. Usually about $0.30 each.

The brow strip has a compound curve to make it very comfortable, even for extended periods.

The retainer for the elastic head band is infinitely adjustable.

I am just finishing up a removable cover that clips across the top to reduce the chance of particles falling onto the face. Clips off for easy cleaning. 

Feel free to create and share but please do not charge money, other than for supplies if you need to.

IMG_1996.jpg

V4 Bottom.stl 113.07 kB · 0 downloads V4 Head.stl 720.59 kB · 0 downloads

Jerry this is fantastic!!! Thank you so much for designing this and sharing with the community. 

Would you mind uploading your files to share in the COVID-19 model download category? Here is the link. This will allow 1) others to more easily find your files, 2) give you the opportunity to provide an explanation for use and track downloads, and 3) choose an appropriate Creative Commons license so that you wishes about non-commercial use are respected. 

https://www.embodi3d.com/files/category/60-covid-19/

Again, thanks for the great share and for being an embodi3D member!

Dr. Mike

On 4/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, attenb said:

Here is a link to a hepa filter holder for BVMs.

I can modify these designs if they do not fit properly to your BVMs.

I can send samples if that would help.

I have also been working on flexible face respirators if that would be of interest.

Bob

V22 Bag Hapa Filter holder.stl 52.23 kB · 3 downloads a1 Box for filters.stl 10.63 kB · 1 download

Bob,

Thanks for sharing your files. They look awesome! As I mentioned to Jerry, please consider formally sharing these in the COVID-19 download category so your files can be easily found by others specifically looking for coronavirus related 3D prints. Thank you!

https://www.embodi3d.com/files/category/60-covid-19/

Smarter Every Day, a popular science and engineering YouTube channel, released this terrific video on how they have developed a whole operation to 3D print face shields for their local hospital. It is worth a view for sure.  

• Dr. Mike featured this topic
  • Dr. Mike unfeatured, unpinned and featured this topic
  • 5 months later...

In Brazil, many research groups and enthusiasts have contributed to develop face shield to combat the pandemic. I had the opportunity to participate in development and logistics in the Higia group (https://www.projetohigia.com.br), distributed more than 100 thousand units throughout the country. 

The 3D models were developed in partnership with doctors and health professionals and are available on the project website.

Regards,

Vitor Urel.

Captura de Tela 2021-02-02 às 14.22.47.png

• 7 months later...

This way we can help to covid pandemic

3d Printed Face shield & Face mask  

Face Shield - A protective headband gear which shields the face of the wearer from the Corona virus. this face shield is reusable one. 

Face Mask - These are 3D printed reusable plastic masks which protects the virus from entering through the mouth and nasal track.  

Venturi valves, Ventilator splitter valves and Respirators. ERVA Portable Medical Ventilator at affordable rate available

We are helping the front-line Covid-19 warriors, i.e. health care officials, sanitation workers, medical professionals, government officials, old age homes, police force and fire fighters who are actively engaged in the fight against the pandemic. These officials are directly involved by risking their lives as well as lives of their families to make sure that we as a nation are safe.

• 2 years later...
With the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, many industries have been affected, including healthcare. One area where 3D printing has shown promise is in the production of medical supplies such as face shields, ventilator parts, and even swabs for testing. The ability to rapidly prototype and produce these items using 3D printing technology has allowed for a quicker response to the growing demand for essential medical equipment.