Dr. Mike

How can 3D printing help with the coronavirus pandemic?

Friends,

The coronavirus pandemic we are now facing is an unmitigated disaster the likes of which have not been seen since the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918. I work at the hospital in Kirkland, Washington, USA that is the epicenter of the epidemic in the US. We currently have more than 100 known or suspected COVID-19 cases at our hospital, with many more to be coming. As shown in the story linked below, 3D printers are being used in Italy to address a specific problem with a shortage of valves. It's a great story. 

This raises the question: What we can we do with 3D printing to help with this coronavirus outbreak?

I am personally unsure, but the inventiveness of the Italy valves is inspiring. I have identified the following areas where there is need. There are surely others I have missed. Can 3D printing be used in any way to address these problems? I am calling on the medical 3D printing community to contribute ideas, whether related to 3D printing or not, to help with this unprecedented disaster.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET -- YOUR BRAINPOWER -- TO THIS PROBLEM.

Areas of need:

• Coronavirus testing
  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), respirators, gloves, gowns, etc.
  • Aids to social isolation
  • Helping with sterilization/cleaning of equipment
  • Shortages of hospital beds/space
  • Other areas?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51911070

Thank you all and be safe!

Dr. Mike

I prefer the design from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website. Prusa's face shield doesn't protect from particles from above, this one does.
As a material, forget about PLA and go for PETG, 4 perimeters. PETG gives more sterilization cycles.