Dr. Baumel's tutorial on using Mimics and an Ultimaker 2 printer to create 3D printed models

Dr. Mike

Dr. Eric Baumel recently posted a tutorial here on how to use the Mimics software by Materialise and an Ultimaker 2 printer to create 3D printable models. It is a really high quality tutorial and shows all the steps in model creation. Thanks Dr. Baumel for sharing with the community!

Anybody else have experience with Mimics or the Ultimaker 2 printer?

I also just got the trial started. Seems a little clunky, but I am a total freshman and used it for 20 minutes with no clue. Found this forum looking for tutorials.  Will watch the tutorial above then try to get stuck into it.  Maureen with Materialise really wants to set up a meeting - has anyone done this with them? Any other updates?

The Mimics Innovation suite is really two core programs: Mimics allows viewing of DICOM images sets, segmentation, and conversion to STL. 3-matic allows you to perform mesh editing and CAD tools. But here is the secret:

YOU CAN DO THE EXACT SAME THING WITH FREEWARE!

Both Osirix and 3D Slicer allow you to view, segment, and export to STL. Blender and MeshMixer allow you to edit and manipulate the mesh and "engineer" your anatomy to be whatever you want. All of these programs are free. In many ways, the freeware is actually more capable than the commercial software. Blender, for example, has amazing animation functionality. Once you have your anatomic model, you can make it come alive with a little extra work in Blender. The video below is an example of something I did with a heart model I made with Blender. You can't do that with Mimics!

Mimics is great software and has a 1 month free trial, but a license for the software is very very expensive. I am sure their support is great, but I think it is hard to justify that price when you can do the same things with freeware. This is part of the reason I am publishing tutorials on using freeware for 3D printing. If you plan on attending RSNA next year, I have been invited to give a hands-on talk on using freeware for 3D printing. The more people know about the freeware solution, the better!

Dr. Mike, I really appreciate that you give free software options. Osirix, Blender, and Meshmixer are really powerful programs. 3D printing is just a hobby for me and it a bit hard to justify spending $$$ on software that may or may not do a better job than what is  available free.

Archived