Licensing for Models from TCIA CTs

Terrie S

I'm no lawyer so don't consider this legal advice, but you are not actually redistributing the original imaging scan that is licensed under CC. Rather, you are taking that data, manipulating it extensively, and creating your own work. So, I think it is fine for you to use their scans to create 3D printable derivative models, and fine for you then license the models you created. Maybe someone with a stronger legal background can comment.

By the way, I've seen some of your work and it is awesome. If you would care to share some models with the community in the file marketplace, it would be most welcome. Just at thought ;)

Thanks Dr. Mike! I'm fine with making my models freely available, but I don't like the idea of somebody trying to sell models that I made! I was curious to know how people decide whether to sell, which CC license to choose, or whether to even bother with licensing.

I'm working on getting some models up!  :)

If you share your models on Embodi3D's file marketplace, nobody can sell those digital files or models except you, unless you specify otherwise.

If you decide to distribute your files for free using one of the Creative Commons licenses, you can choose a "Non Commercial" license. That means that people who download your digital model cannot use it for commercial purposes (i.e. sell it).  You can also require that the downloader make no derivatives of your work. In other words they can share it but cannot modify it in any way. Or, you can allow them to modify your file but they are required to share that modified file under the same license terms that you shared it with them. In all cases, downloaders who share your file for commercial or non commercial purposes have to properly attribute you as the original author.

You also have the option to sell the file, or more accurately a license to use the file, on the marketplace. You can use your own customized license if you have one or use the General Paid File License that Embodi3D provides. The General license allows buyers to make a single 3D print from your file. If they want to make more they have to buy a license from you for each print. I know that practically this is difficult to enforce, but if somebody flagrantly violates your license, for example mass producing your model in a factory in China, you can go after them for violating the license. You can learn more about selling files here. If you have invested great amounts of time in producing high quality models are aren't ready to part with them for free, selling is a good option, especially for very subspecialized models.

Embodi3D has worked really hard to make sure that you can share your 3D printable anatomic files on your terms safely. You have many options, and in all cases ownership and control of the model design resides with the creator, YOU. We want to encourage sharing of files and don't want uncertainty about what downloaders can do with files to be a reason why great files aren't shared. 

If you have any questions, please ask and thanks in advance for sharing!

Archived