making a stl file with a tiff stack into Drishti and its scale

Minke van Voorthuizen

Dear Reader,

I have been delivered a *.stl file of a Femur. It has been created from dicom data to a tiff stack and generated to a 3d file through the software Drishti.

The file is big as an elephant and it appears to be very big, not at all at a 1:1 scale. My question is; Does anybody know how the measurement should have been done to have it in the proper measurement? I am not familiar with Drishti software. I try to figure out if the measurement should be scaled with a kind of logic (like, from mm cm, so 1:10) or the scaling will be hopeless because there is no measurement involved and it is just a big guess.

Should it be done in other software? If so, I first try to understand all the effort has been done already in this Drishti...

If the model looks very large, the unit is probably in mm, but I am unfamiliar with Drishti. If you have access to the DICOM data, and want to try other software, I would anonymize it to NRRD format and upload it to democratiz3D, the automatic scan to STL model conversion service on this website. It should take you about 10 minutes. democratiz3D STL files use millimeter as the unit of measurement. Hope this helps.

Dr. Mike

Archived