please help with suggestions on CT scan

drb

Just browsed to this website and I am blown away by Dr. Mike's tutorials. Thanks.

Could somebody please help with this?

I would like to gather CT scan images of knee joint and make a 3D model of the bone and also another with soft tissues with ligaments, tendons & muscles intact.

I have no idea about CT scan and image specifications. What should I request to be taken and send me?

Can also somebody point me to soft tissue along with bone 3D modeling using Slicer, blender and Meshmixer?

Thirdly, when I followed Dr. Mike's tutorials on human skull, the final 3D file was aroudn 160MB. Although it exported to all formats except .3ds, I wasn't able to view it online. How can I export this as a video / animated file where somebody can rotate and manipulate?

Thanks so much,

drb

Did you know you can create muscle and ligament models from CT scans using the democratiz3d service by changing only one setting? Here is a tutorial on how to do that. As far as the scanning goes, the most important thing is to make sure you are using a CT scan. Most knee imaging is MRI for things like ligament and cartilage tears. 

If you wish to view and rotate your model, I suggest downloading it and then manipulating the STL file it in meshmixer. That will allow you to turn and view it as you see fit. 

hope this helps

Dr. Mike, is there a sample MRI file (or CT scan ?) for knee that I can try it out? I don't have any samples with me. 

That tutorial looks great! is it possible to even filter out the muscles and just show the ligaments, meniscus in the knee joint?

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on what access you have to scanners and the time you want to invest it is possible to use both a CT and an MRI scan to get good bone as well as soft tissue models.  The two scans can be registered together similar to what I showed in my registration tutorial:

Also MRI's can be segmented if the quality is high enough.  You want your scan resolution to be as high as possible.  Ideally the smallest anatomy would have multiple voxels across it.  So if you have a tendon that is 4mm across you want an in-plane and out of plane resolution of at least 2mm.  High res MRI's take more time which can add cost and require the subject to stay still longer.  Also if possible work with the MRI tech to highlight the anatomy of interest; the settings to get good fat tissue will differ from getting good tendons.

Segmentation of high quality MRI

If MRI is not an option (typically much more $$) then CT will work great for bones but soft tissue will be difficult.

Of course if you want some help with segmenting you can contact me through my business www.med-mod.com ;)

Archived