MeshLab vs Blender

Dr. Mike

• 9 months later...

Dr. Mike, I actually like Mesh Lab.  I find it easier for cleaning up unwanted geometries.  However, Blender, which has great potential, allows a little better hands on editing of specific features in some way.  At least to me.  Now that I have been using MeshMixer, I lean more towards that.

Best!
Mike

Slicer has a lot of potential.  The biggest challenge I've found is effective segmentation done manually as opposed to automatically.  I've found that getting specific tissues can be a challenge when the studies aren't the highest contrast.  Anything that can be done in Slicer is something that doesn't have to be done in MeshMixer or Meshlab.

As a windows user I havn't use Osirix yet. Mike, do you find Osirix generate internal geometries?

I also found your tutorial for removing non-manifold vertices in Blender. Any chance you tried Geomagics Wrap/Studio? From my understanding Geomagics can automatically fix them however the software come with an expensive price tag...

Anyone has a good tutorial for MeshMixer? I watched few youtube videos but their cases are too clean for CT generated models.

• 2 weeks later...

No I haven't tried Geomagics. I googled it an it looks like the price is $8 to $30K. Yikes!

Yes, I do find that Osirix generates internal geometries. I'm trying to get time to look into Slicer in more detail. I agree with mplishka that it looks promising for windows folks. Is it better with the internal geometry issue?

I'm planning on more tutorials. One of them will be how to use MeshMixer to clean up STLs generated from CT scans. I am also working on closing holes in an easier fashion using Blender. Free is a lot better than $8K!

Archived