Modeling Outsourcing

refaev

Not all physicians have the time or technical knowledge to extract a printable model from 

a CT or MRI. Especially for vessels and non-regular tumors.

Are there any companies which give this service?

How much should it cost?

How do they deal with the anonymity restrictions?

Thanks, 

Rafi

The two established companies I know of are Medical Modeling (now owned by 3D systems) and Materialise. They both have a sort of concierge service that is used for specialty applications. For example, I think Materialise helped to make a 3D printed model of Richard III's skull when it was excavated from under a parking lot in England. I have no idea how much they cost but my guess is they are expensive.

Several members of the Embodi3D community (myself included) do work in special circumstances. You can post a service request in the "Services Needed" forum. Most members have a specialty, such as vascular, bone, heart, liver, etc.

If you have experience creating medical models from imaging studies and would like to offer your services to others, please post a description in the Services Offered forum, so that interested customers can be directed to you. There is growing demand for this type of service. Also, if you can do this kind of work please contact me directly via message on this website. I receive many requests for anatomic model design and may want to send some business your way.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Rafi,

I was actually surprised at the cost for modelling.  I spoke to them both at RSNA and asked them for rough quotes and in both cases is was less than a grand for modelling and the model.

The biggest challenge was getting into the workflow of various institutions.  Modeling and making the models is the easy part.  Receiving a case, understanding the case, determining if a model is necessary, if so then finding someone to do it, interfacing with the docs to understand what's needed, then getting the models made and shipped.    All that is actually the solution. Someone can provide one aspect of the value chain, but truly, you need to be part of the chain in a seamless manner. T

So, the 'product' that there is a need for, isn't really modelling per se, (though it is needed). What is needed is a 'workflow' solution, which Materialise tries to deliver thru software, but it's not a complete solution and it's big bucks.  Communication and turnaround is key to making models in a cost effective manner.

Hope this makes sense!

mplishka, thanks for a really outstanding answer. For pre-surgical modeling detailed understanding of the clinical case and surgeon's intention are needed. Even with multiple rounds of in-house face-to-face conferencing, the model may not be just right. Sometimes nobody is really sure what the surgeon intends to cut except the surgeon. Workflow and communication are definitely key. Out of curiosity, how exactly is Materialise intending to solve this via software?

For other applications of medical 3D printing, workflow may be less of an issue. I'm thinking educational models, research models, anthropology/paleontology, and device testing. 

Dr. Mike, Thanks for the great insights! Totally agree regarding Educational/Research/Anthropological/Etc. Models. 

The software eliminates the middle man if the doc does it him/her self. 

I've heard it said that having a doc do the sectioning/etc. is just an extension of reading films.  I'm not sure I totally agree with that.  In principle it's nice that the doc can do everything but in the end, is that the best use of a docs time? 

What are your thoughts?

The problem is that the doc doing the segmentation typically isn't the surgeon. It's the radiologist. And it's unpaid work. And it can take hours. At some academic facilities this can work, but at most facilities radiologists productivity is tracked. It's hard to justify working on a 3D model for free instead of reading 15 or 20 CT scans. This is why reimbursement is the most important barrier in my opinion to widespread adoption of pre-surgical 3d printing.

• 9 months later...

Dear all

I think it can be interesting for all of you to know my Company Optimus 3D, experts in DICOM segmentation and medical modeling.

We can process your Dicom in a real model according your requirements in a short time and with a competitive Price.

We use exclusively profesional 3d printers from Stratasys

If you need a quotation about an specific case please contact to me.

We´re serving models for preparation of difficult surgeries to different spanish hospitals, but in the XXI century, we can serve to another countries.

Thanks for your interest

Fernando Oharriz

foharriz@optimus3d.es

• 3 weeks later...

Archived