SJSato

Had some time over Memorial Day weekend so I downloaded Dr. Mike's Lumbar Spine model. Believe it or not, this was a 65 hour print on my Ultimaker 2! All in all, the print came out pretty well.

563Srde.jpg?1

I have a web cam watching over the printer and can monitor progress over my iPhone. I can also shut down the printer remotely if the printer goes haywire.

I used the Ultimaker's Cura software to generate the support structure and there was quite a bit of support , maybe a little overkill. It came off fairly easily but quite a bit rougher than the unsupported surfaces. I'll post a picture of the underside when I get back to the lab.

OMhIJ4E.jpg?1

Here is the ugly underbelly of the print. With some sanding and finishing I could get it a bit smoother. When I paint models I use a spray primer with a filler. That would also eliminate small defects and the striations from the printing. Considering the complexity of the model and the limitations of my printer it came out better than expected.

3D printer companies are working on dual head printers that will extrude the support material in dissoluble material which may ease a lot of the problems of printing overhangs. Dual head printing is still a bit buggy however and real hasn't made it mainstream, at least in the hobby level printers. Ultimaker has abandoned their attempt to add dual heads to their line of printers.

Dr. Mike, mainly I like to print biomedical models for personal interest and curiosity. I am trying to get more adept at segmenting out my own models from scans but I'm still on the upward slope of learning. At this point, it is just a geeky hobby.

• 8 months later...

Can you please share your slicer settings and filament choice or recommendations? I've had some good results with humoral head and elbow joint printed in white PLA with 3-4 outer shells for cortex and I've played with 20% infill and 50% infill for medullary center. I'm trying to find ideal infill density for drilling and would also like to see if other plastics offer some benefits over the PLA.

• 2 years later...

Archived