Hisham

Flexible and Elastic Material

Good Day everyone!

I am looking for the best elastic and flexible material to be used with the Ultimaker/Makergear printer? 

If anyone has any experience with printing flexible material please let us know what were the pitfalls to avoid

Thank you all for this nice forum 

If you want to print flexible materials on an fdm printer you should only use direct drive and not Bowden systems (like Ultimaker). So the path between the extruder gear and the hot-end should be as short as possible. Especially if you want to go below shore hardness 85A.

Printing speeds should be very VERY low (start at 10 mm/s, maybe you can go faster but start slow). And retraction should be a lot higher (at least 2 times higher). Another thing is that flexibles are sometimes VERY hard to take of the printing bed (maybe try something like blue masking tape).

The "prusa mk3" uses a direct drive system with bondtech gears. Prusa MK3

It is a printer which can be used printing 24/7 but the build volume of 25x21x21 cm might not be enough for everyone.

I'm going to receive their multi material update in about 3 weeks. It will then print with up to 5 materials. So for example with 4 colors + soluble supports (but uses still the same great direct drive system).

I will test it with some of the data I have segmented from ct images which contains multiple objects. For example a kidney with a tumor or a heart segmentation.

If you want I will post the results in this forum.

On 02. 10. 2018. at 1:33 PM, Flaviu said:

The "prusa mk3" uses a direct drive system with bondtech gears. Prusa MK3

It is a printer which can be used printing 24/7 but the build volume of 25x21x21 cm might not be enough for everyone.

I'm going to receive their multi material update in about 3 weeks. It will then print with up to 5 materials. So for example with 4 colors + soluble supports (but uses still the same great direct drive system).

I will test it with some of the data I have segmented from ct images which contains multiple objects. For example a kidney with a tumor or a heart segmentation.

If you want I will post the results in this forum.

I am planning to buy this printer and later on multi material update, so please upload some pictures :)