Doubts regarding sizing

Siddharth

Hi, I will be attempting to make a clean 3D printable stl file from DIACOM data using slicer, blender and meshmixer. I wanted to know how do you validate the size of print file? 

For ex: If the skull will be used for surgical planning, how do you know that the print file and the actual skull are of the same size (1:1 ratio)

Thank you in advance and many more queries coming :) 

5 hours ago, Dr. Mike said:

I would measure a structure on the source CT scan and then compare that to physical measurements on the printed model. That should give you and idea of any discrepancy in size.

Are you suggesting that I take measurements of the CT scan file? What do you mean by structure on the source file? My doubt is how do I know what the dimension of the part would be before I print it as they will be used for surgical planning and need to be accurate. 

My question might sound silly but I need clarity. Thank you in advance 

I mean open the CT scan you originally made the file from and measure the size of your target structure using the tools in almost any clinically approved DICOM viewer. Then measure the same structure on your physical model. Bear in mind that you shouldn't be using your model exclusively for surgical planning. Any conclusions you derive from your testing with the model should be verified by looking again at the original scan. Structures can and do become lost or modified during the DICOM to STL conversion process. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I would add that voxel to real world dimensions come from the dicom tags 'pixel spacing' and 'slice spacing' which give the voxel dimentions.  Only if one of these values (or other related ones) is incorrect will the dimensions of the resulting model be wrong.  Also if printing make sure all software uses mm when importing the mesh. 

Archived