Is this the (near) future of patient medical imaging?

vlad

Here is a great 3D rendered cardiac model on Sketchfab:

https://sketchfab.com/models/775d6629622740de8a5ed61a959c7506

It is available to manipulate within the viewer, animated as video to assess dynamic motion and function, and even compatible with virtual reality output. I have to wonder if this will become commonplace imaging technology within routine clinical workflow anytime soon, much like DICOM imaging (and even 3D rendering) is readily available within healthcare EMR systems today.

The diagnostic and simulated therapeutic implications of this are fascinating.

Interview on cardiovascular imaging and 3D modeling found on Medscape:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/842486#vp_1

Question: What is the likelihood of generating a 3D rendered model exclusively from echocardiography raw data? I've seen some reports of hybrid scan acquisition (CT + echo, or MR + echo) but is echo modality alone likely to ever be feasible, either due to improved imaging clarity or (more likely) better data processing and post-processing by software? Echo and ultrasound offers the safest, most cost effective, and most widespread modality of internal medical imaging.

• 1 month later...

The problem with echo/ultrasound is spatial registration. How do you know where structures are in space? Ultrasound is operator dependent, and images are acquired at different angles and orientations. With CT and MR spacial position is known, which makes it easier to generate a volumetric data set.

• 2 months later...

Vlad, I think you are talking about digital tomosynthesis, a new type of mammography. I don't know much about this type of imaging, but some members, such as Dr. Tatiana, are experts. She was the creator of the breast cancer STL file that is shared above. I'll ask her if she knows.

Breast MRI is just like regular MRI and should be 3D printable if the initial scan is of appropriate quality.

Archived