IR 3D printing applications

doc_k

I'm a medical student who is trying to plan some research in Rads/IR and 3D printing in medicine.  

Figured I could try to combine the two, so more specifically, I'm interested in using 3D printing to make models for planning interventions/procedures.  Any IR docs on here with some good ideas on procedures I could look into for this?  Maybe certain particularly difficult vascular procedures that require initial planning?

I'm just throwing this out there for some brainstorm ideas.  Anything that anyone could suggest would be amazing, broad or specific. Thanks for your time.

I've used 3D printed models for preop planning of a few complex endovascular interventions. One of my cases is in press in the journal Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology here. A major issue is turn around time. Most procedures won't wait weeks for a model to be built and tested. Other areas where 3D printed models are being used is for testing aortic endografts prior to AAA repair and for TAVR. Also, there is some work in the neuro aneurysm repair area.

Message me and I can give you more informtion.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am a Biomedical Engineering student and am working on a TAVR project that needs me to create a 3D heart model and also a calcified/stenotic aortic root complex, mimicking the 3 leaflets and other parts of the complex. Can you suggest some materials that can be used to make the aortic root and its leaflets. We need a flexible material to model the leaflets. One of the materials I found was Polyurethane. Will it be a good material for leaflets?

Thanks

Archived