First 3D Printer suggestions

ebaumel

Greetings!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a first 3D printer. I was going to get the Makerbot, but the reviews of the new 5th generation model give me doubts. I am a radiologist with interst in making 3D models for educational purposes.

Thanks for you help!

Eric

I'm also a radiologist and have been making 3D anatomic models for some time. I actually don't have a home 3D printer. The fused deposition modeling (FDM) process they use is too limiting for most anatomic structures I am interested in printing. Other types of 3D printing like inkjet 3D printing, selective laser sintering, and stereolithography are better methods for most anatomic 3D prints. They are better at dealing with issues like overhanging edges. The problem is that those printers are very expensive. You can use a printing bureau like Shapeways or iMaterialise to print with these methods, but there is a long delay while they manufacture and ship to you. 

What kind of 3D models are you thinking about making for education? My medical school has been asking me to help design some 3D models for their anatomy class.

Mike

Thanks for your site.

I am interested in making 3D models for middle/high schools students (these I will donate).  Some of the models I will be printing came from digimorph.org.

In order to print these I have just finished building my own large format FDM delta style printer capable of printing 14" diameter by 24" tall.

You can get very good results with these printers although there will be some cleanup required.  Some have disolvable support material that makes this easier.

There are a few things to look out for if you are interested in these:

1. A temperature controlled chamber.  The plastic shrinks and makes larger prints fail without this.  In some cases you can purchase a chamber as an aftermarket item, but just keeping drafts off the model may not be enough, it needs to be hot inside.
  2. A nozzle of about .35mm.  The usual range is .35mm to .5mm and the smaller size will give better details, but takes longer.  Some printers have interchangeable nozzles.
  3. Don't get locked in on the filament.  Some printers use chipped cartridges so you can only use their filament.  Baah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Formlab 1+ might be your solution. It's an entry level SLA 3D printer and provide pretty decent surface finish and accuracy. The build tray is kind of limited, 6x6in I think? It probably enough to print sections. And photopolymer usually come with toxic smell before it's cured.

Our shop runs with an Objet 30 and Projet 660. But I'm still pretty impressed by their quality and they are pretty cheap for the quality it offers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived