About This File
The hip joint is a large synovial socket and ball joint which is formed by the femoral head (the ball) and the acetabulum (the socket). The acetabulum is formed by pelvic bones; the ilium, the ischium and the pubis.
- Gluteal group: the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, and tensor fasciae latae
- Adductor group: the adductor brevis, adductor longus, adductor magnus, pectineus, and gracilis
- Iliopsoas group: the iliacus and psoas major
- Lateral rotator group: the externus and internus obturators, the piriformis, the superior and inferior gemelli, and the quadratus femoris
- Other hip muscles: the rectus femoris and the sartorius